Tier 1 operators can require external battery backup (EBBU) units for next-generation broadband CPE devices such as G-PON fibre and DOCSIS gateways. This article summarises why operators need EBBUs, the difficulties and frustrations in sourcing them, and how NetBit can help avoid them.
Why do operators need EBBU solutions?
Many domestic telephones are fixed-line devices that are connected to local telephone exchanges using copper wires. This is known as the plain ordinary telephone system (POTS). This system is powered from the exchange and not at the customers’ premises. Telephone exchanges have battery backup units so in the event of an AC power outage the phone still works.
With next-generation broadband customer premises equipment (CPE) such as G-PON fibre, there is no electrical connection back to the exchange. The customer’s telephone system can only be powered directly from the CPE device. In the event of an AC power outage the telephone won’t work.
To address this problem, regulatory bodies such as the FCC in the US, and OfCom in the UK, require operators deploying next-generation CPE to offer consumers an option to install an external battery backup unit (EBBU) to ensure that their phone will continue to work during a power cut.
Why is it difficult to find an off-the-shelf EBBU?
Finding an off-the-shelf EBBU solution that meets the exact requirements for different CPE devices is difficult for three reasons:
- The regulatory rules change from region to region: the FCC requires 24 hours on-hook backup power whereas OfCom in the UK requires 1 hour which can mean a massive difference in the battery capacity required.
- The typical power requirements of the CPE device itself can vary a lot which makes it difficult to exactly match an off-the-shelf EBBU battery to the CPE device which can drive up the cost of the EBBU.
- Off-the-shelf EBBUs are typically in-line devices that need to be daisy-chained between the existing PSU and the CPE which means the DC input AND output connections on the EBBU must exactly match the CPE as the image below.
NetBit EBBU solution
Recognizing some of the frustrations and challenges noted above, NetBit is developing EBBU solutions to provide our customers with:
- Optimized battery options to meet the exact power requirements of the CPE hardware to make it cost-effective
- A single combined PSU+EBBU unit, therefore, simplifying the installation and increasing the reliability of the system
- Customized DC output connector to match any type of DC input for the CPE device – see below
To discuss your exact EBBU needs and understand how NetBit can provide a simpler and more cost-effective EBBU solution, please contact our sales team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us at: