The CPE power supply market is predominately made up of fully bespoke or semi-customised product solutions which are tailored to the needs of a specific project deployment. In this article, we are going to look at seven of the key questions that are frequently asked when identifying an optimum power solution for a given application:
1. Desktop or wall mount case?
- There are pros and cons for either type of design and ultimately it comes down to the application, power output and customer preference. Generally, a wall mount case is a more cost-effective solution and in 2018 NetBit developed a new 42W PSU platform which can be supplied in either a desktop or wall mount case design giving customers more choice for higher power applications up to 42W. Download our ‘Desktop vs Wall mount’ whitepaper to take an in-depth look at this topic. Download here.
2. Universal range or single range AC input?
- A key requirement is the AC input range which is either full range (100-240VAC) or single range (either 100-120 or 200-240VAC). All of NetBit’s designs can be customized as required to specific customer’s requirements. We have PSUs deployed around the world and are happy to advise as appropriate. We put together a full article on this topic which can be viewed here: https://www.netbit.com/universal-range-or-single-range-ac-input/
3. What’s the standard DC cable length for a wall mount PSU?
- NetBit can customize the DC cable to any length our customers need. This typically ranges from 1.0m up to 2.0m. We are often asked what is the standard length for a wall mount PSU and whilst there is no ‘standard’ the majority of DC cables on our wall mount PSUs are 1.8m long.
4. Operating temperature range for developing countries?
- The vast majority of our PSUs deployed in Europe and US are designed for an operating temperature range of 0 – 40C or 0 – 45C. All our platforms can be uprated for operation at higher temperatures in tropical countries, some of which can require an operating range as wide as 0 – 55C.
5. What is the lifetime of the PSU?
- Electrolytic capacitors are a critical component in PSUs and NetBit uses components from the world’s leading suppliers. Every platform is rigorously tested, before deployment, to international Telcordia reliability standards. The majority of our platforms are designed with a 10-year life and can be enhanced further if required for any specific customer application. To explore this topic further, click here: https://www.netbit.com/the-lifespan-of-a-psu/
6. Can you customize the DC plug design?
- Yes. All our DC plugs can be customized to meet any specific dimensions. This is often required when the end product has a bespoke mechanical case and a standard-length plug may be too short. NetBit can also create fully bespoke DC plug overmold designs. We can also offer alternative connectors such as USB-C.
7. Can you add custom logos or serialization information to the PSU label?
- Yes. Typically, the name plate details are laser etched onto the PSU case to save our customers money. The laser etching process is flexible so we can customize this and add line artwork, text or bar codes as required. Take a closer look at how NetBit uses serialization for products: https://www.netbit.com/understanding-netbit-psu-part-numbers/
NetBit is 100% focused on power supplies for the CPE market. If you need assistance in defining an optimum power solution for your CPE application please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us: email@example.com or if you would like to find out more about our products, click here.
Trackback URL: https://netbit.com/7-faqs-for-defining-cpe-psus/trackback/